Chargebee is a SaaS unicorn with over 1000 employees across the world. But, back in Jan 2018, Chargebee was a Chennai-based Series-B company with 150 employees.
Defining the Problem
It took two months to understand the "hiring problem." Eventually we distilled the issue down to a list of 5 specific issues:
- Job applicants who met Krish, Raman or KPS early in the process were more motivated - these cohorts performed better in test and interview rounds. Other applicants were failing!
- Applicants to the engineering team didn't understand that Chargebee is a product company and required applicants to show product mindset.
- The solutions team were looking for engineers but they were getting resumes of support executives.
- Chargebee wasn't getting enough woman applicants.
- Talent from other cities (Bangalore, Pune) weren't applying to Chargebee because it's Chennai based and they didn't see it as a favourable destination.
Solving via video
We interviewed founders and employees, and put together 5 videos - each addressing a specific problem. In the first video, we got the founders to speak about the company, the vision, and what working at Chargebee is like:
In the second video, we shot the founders speak about the unique Chargebee engineering culture.
Then, we moved on to the solutions/support problem. Our approach was simple: let the solutions engineers describe their jobs.
We also recorded women leaders at Chargebee speak about why Chargebee is a great place for women:
Chennai Beyond Stereotypes
For the "Chennai problem," we created a campaign around the idea that every city is viewed through a lens of stereotypes. Our campaign was launched to coincide with #ChennaiWeek. Within days we got 10,000 views - which is great for an employer branding video. Within a year, we had more than 200,000 views.
Amrut and Amrit's work with Chargebee was in 2018 - before CoreVoice was founded. Yet, this Amrit-Amrut collaboration is exactly the kind of projects that we do in CoreVoice. We start with a broad problem, and break it down to specifics, and then apply our creativity.
From 2018 to 2022, Chargebee has grown from Series B to Unicorn, from 150 to 1000 people, and from 1 office to 4 (across the world). We feel proud that we made a small contribution in this journey - especially in the talent side of things.